.

The East Granby
            
Historical Society

 

.

.

.

 

 

"To Preserve Our Heritage"

   
    
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   About Us
.
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Executive Board
 . 
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Program Schedule
.
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Membership Information
.. 
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Directions to East Granby
 .
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Newsletter
.
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Historical Archives
. 
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Old Connecticut Maps
.
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Fundraisers
 
.
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Historical Site Locator
.
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Chronology

 .
redarrow.gif (834 bytes)   Facebook Page
.
 

East Granby, CT

This area, first settled in 1664, was one of four Congregational parishes in Simsbury.  The Turkey Hills Ecclesiastical Society in 1786 became a section of Granby, and in 1858 was incorporated as the Town of East Granby.

An unusual geographical feature, a basalt ridge dividing the Town lengthwise, has had considerable influence upon its character.  

The first incorporated copper mine in America was on the western side of this Talcott Range. The mine subsequently became Newgate Prison, a Revolutionary War jail and the first state prison in the United States (1790). 

Farming was the mainstay of the Town for much of its history.  The early twentieth century saw local farmers specializing in dairy product and tobacco.  The number of operating farms  diminished greatly as the population of the Town increased from 838 in 1858 to 5277 in 2010 but the rural character of East Granby remains.  


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

..

Home

Executive Board Membership Newsletter Barn Book Directions Site Location Map
About Us Programs Fundraisers Old CT Maps Chronology Historical Archives Facebook Page

East Granby, Connecticut

Copyrightę1999-2016 All rights reserved
M. J. Patitucci